Ahh, we've got a great type of hair extension method to talk about today beauties - Micro Beads. The micro bead technique of applying hair extensions with beads is growing in popularity and we absolutely love it for its amazing ability to make your chosen extensions truly appear to be part of your own head of hair.
There are many benefits of having micro beads placed in your hair, so today in this blog I will go over the benefits, how they are applied and how you can care for them at home once you've had them put in.
Below is an example of what the extensions look like once they are placed into your hair, as you can see the beads are tiny and spaced out evenly for a natural looking head of hair.
Firstly, here's the top 5 reasons you should buy your hair extensions from us here at Minque.
- We are an Australian company with salons in Melbourne and Brisbane
- We can recommend salons to you which stock our products to insert your brand new hair extensions (reach out to us here)
- We stock 100% A+++ 'REMY' human hair
- Extensions are all double drawn - which means they are equally as thick from top to bottom, this is important as you don't want your hair to look thinner on either end!
- Because we use premium Remy human hair, you can style, dye, brush your hair as you would your own hair
Alright, now that I've put your mind at ease about the quality of our products, let's get cracking on all things Micro Bead extensions!
Microbead extensions are one of our more permanent methods of attaching hair extensions with a unique way of being placed into the hair.
Before we go into the technique, it is important to note that we only recommend you have our micro bead extensions attached by a qualified hairdresser - specifically one qualified in this particular micro bead technique. Failing to use a qualified technician may result in poorly inserted extensions which will then not last you as long as they should, or worse yet, hair damage.
A little more information
The unique thing about micro beads is that a small amount of strands of hair are attached to a small section of your own hair, rather than 1-inch wefts of hair, which results in a much more natural, and integrated look with your own hair.
This technique is a lot more gentle on the hair then tape or braiding in wefts, but be warned you will be in your hairdresser's chairs for upwards of 2 hours. This is a small price to pay for how natural this type of extensions look.
Some of the other benefits of micro beads is that the beads, if installed correctly will not budge once in, you can wait up to 3 months to hair them re-attached (a whole summer of luscious locks!) you can also re-use the same grams of hair or easily buy a small 50 gram addition in a different shade to add some change, if you are so inclined. The choices are really endless with the micro bead technique.
photo source: Minque Hair
Before you get cracking on having them installed, like most of our other hair extensions, you will need to select your hair extension length, colour, and grams.
The lengths to choose from are either 20 inch, which sits just below the bust, or 26 inch, which will sit at the waist. The reason these extensions sit a bit higher that other methods is because they can be inserted higher up the hairline.
Here at Minque, we offer several colour shade options for you to choose from, as well as the one shade block colours or balayage and foil colours. You can get a bit more creative with micro beads, due to the fact that you are inserting 1gram strands, rather than 1 inch wefts/ tape. You could get 50 grams of a lowlight or highlight, perfect for summer. Or why not? throw them both in for the ultimate multi dimentional hair.
Now you are up to choosing your Grams or amount of extensions you wish to purchase. This will depend on the look you are after and remember, we are here to help so if you're feeling overwhelmed or stuck with any of your selections feel free to email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Your options are:
50 pieces: Half Head 50grams - For volume only
100 pieces: Full Head 100grams - For a more natural result
150 pieces: Full Head and a Half 150grams - To extend medium or thick hair
200 pieces: Two Full Heads 200grams- To extend short hair as well as maximum thickness
photo source: Minque Hair
To begin, your technician will divide your hair into sections, so that the beads and extensions can be placed in sections between your own hair where they will not be visible.
A small section (a few strands) are placed in a bead at a time, and then the matching amount of extension is looped in with your hair. The microbeads come in a variety of colours, so rest assured that your technician will be able to find you a suitable match that will easily blend in with your own hair and extensions.
The beads are then tightened into place using special pliers that are specific to use in a hair salon, so your qualified technician will have a set of these on hand.
The above steps are repeated several times per section (hence the lengthy but worth it process)
Your technician will be sure to make sure your micro bead is not tightened all the way to the top of your hair, which means your hair can grow undisrupted.
That's it for installation, and you now have gorgeous long hair to enjoy.
Watch them being installed by one of our talented technicians in this video
Caring for your micro bead extensionsSo now that you're living with and loving your micro bead hair extensions, you may be wondering how to keep them looking as gorgeous as they did the day you got them in. As your extensions are 100% Remy human hair, they will need a bit of TLC to keep them looking pristine.
- Brush your extensions twice a day very gently with a suitable brush such as a tangle teezer. Remember, do this gently so to not move your micro beads. This rarely happens, but keep it safe!
- Wash your hair with a recommended gentle shampoo and conditioner such as the Kiki Hydrate hair care series.
- If you're a gym junkie kudos to you! Be sure to tie your hair up to avoid excess sweat getting on it before you hit the gym. Wash your hair as soon as you're home and your workout is done.
- If you're into hitting the beach be sure to wear a hat to avoid the sun damaging your amazing extensions as well as your own hair.
- Much like a gym junkie, before heading into the pool, be sure to brush your locks and tie the hair up, two loose plaits or a bun will do it. You can also go to the next level and use our leave in moisturiser too.
- When styling/ drying your hair make sure you use a heat protectant first, but you already did that with your own hair right?
- You may need to have your hair and extensions trimmed prior to the 3-month re-installation, which is totally normal, as your own hair is growing too. I'd recommend heading to your hairdresser for a trim and check at the 6-8 week mark, as you would normally do with your own hair.
- Be gentle - no hair pulling catfights please ladies! Your micro beads are safe and secure, but just as your own hair would come out with excessive pulling, tugging or brushing, the same too can happen to your micro bead extensions. Show them some love and they will love you back.
photo source: Minque Hair
The above photo shows the shampoo and conditioner from the range we recommend for all of your hair extension needs.
I know that the decision to purchase hair extensions, especially less common ones such as micro beads (they are gaining ground as we speak) can be a tough thing to do online, but hopefully the information in this blog has given you clarity on what micro bead extensions are, the technique used to apply them and how to care for them once they're in.
Have you gone ahead and had our micro beads installed by a trained technician already? Let me know how your experience was and please gimme gimme gimme pictures! Hopefully, the care tips will be of some assistance too :)
If you have any suggestions or questions please get in touch with us, we love hearing from you! Email us here